Reply to post

Suggestions

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 15 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
  • Total Posts : 14706
  • Reward points : 0
2006/11/19 20:50:35 (permalink)

Suggestions

If you have any major suggestion on how to progress the situation and convince the Catholic church that allowing women priests is essential, please state your ideas.

Thanks

S

287 Replies Related Threads

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/19 21:00:29 (permalink)
    Excellent topic.  Some things that quickly come to mind:

Most importantly, we must at all times keep our eyes and our hearts fixed on Christ.

I think it is important that we become as well informed on the issues as we possibly can...so that when an opportunity to share presents itself, we are able to do so way in ways that are intelligent, thoughtful, and loving.

It is also important that :

• we strive to show leadership in the way we model Christ like behaviour.
    • we be prayerful people
    • we be respectful of the fact that it sometimes takes time for someone to turn around a way of thinking
    • we read about heroes who have challenged other kinds of discrimination....for example, learn how it was that Martin Luther King Jr. found the courage and strength to speak out as eloquantly as he could
    • we must support one another
    • we must find support and nourishment in nurturing communities.
    • we are building Christ's kingdom.  For my part, I have found it helpful to try to cultivate 'detachment' from the nastiness there is in opposition.  Retorts, when they are nasty, are clearly not of Jesus.

I am sure more will come to mind....great, great topic.  Thank you for posting it!

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/19 21:10:13 (permalink)
    I have thought of another....we read about our own heroes...

- Teresa of Avila
    - Catherine of Siena
    - Julian of Norwich
    - Francis of Assisi

to name just a few.

There are many who have come before us and who, are, now many centuries later remembered, revered, even canonized for the brave courage they showed in challenging corruption in the Church.  St. Catherine of Sienna, for instance,  died in near despair over the state of the Church.  And today, she is remembered by the Church, for the stands she took against it.

We must also look to our modern day heroes...women, men, children...

How is it that people in the third world manage to live such heroic lives...facing all of the reality in daily life over which one could easily despair.....We have much to learn from many......We have much to share with many....Be prayerful and trust in God.
    Therese
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/19 21:16:25 (permalink)
    As women in the Catholic faith,we are not the only women of faith who experience what you name:  discrimination.

I have also found it helpful to connect with women of other faiths for sharing in how they challenge structures within their own faith communities.

It is something that virtually goes across the spectrum throughout history...women ...and men who are christian, jewish, moslem, hindu....have faced the struggle of fighting the evil of sexism

We are not alone...
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/19 21:38:58 (permalink)
    Become as informed as you possibly can.

My experience has been that many people assume they have a complete understanding of our faith based on the Grade 1-5 catechism they received as children.

Make it a goal to gain an adult understanding of why things ---whether they be for good or for not -- are as they are.

My experience has been that many priests do not necessarily 'keep up' with faith education.  My impression -- and it could be wrong -- is that some priests amble along with the sense that they are in jobs for life and therefore place little or no emphasis on continued learning.

My sense is that we can shine even more brightly when we spend some time polishing the silver....make sense?

Don't be afraid to learn....and hang on if it seems like the going gets tough.  There are bumps in the road for those who dare trod...yet be assured of an interesting journey.

Pray, pray, pray.  Learn how to communicate in ways that do not shut others down.  It is a challenge but we become better people for it.  Be committed to community.  Be committed to Christ.  Learn how to forgive and do it.

When the going gets tough, try to think 'how would I respond if Christ were standing right beside me?'  Follow Him.  Be brave.  Be real.  Be balanced.  Be authentic.  Be heard!

Pick your battles carefully.  Be prepared.  What's that old saying "Proper prior planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance????" 

Look for opportunities.

Be gentle with one another.  Be gentle with yourself.

Be courageous when required.  Be not afraid.
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/19 21:44:22 (permalink)
    Learn how to communicate.  If possible, learn about conflict.  Learn to be humble.  Be loving.  Learn to engage more easily in conversation with others. 

Someone wrote the following in another thread and I think it is very good:

'the church's present structures were designed for a different period, "before the church became an institution composed of many diverse cultures," before it became a truly global church. What we are getting today instead of honest intellectual renewal and a greater sense of aesthetic longings, with an eye to local culture and varied richness, is a return to "rubricism." Compromise and gradualism in not encouraged in a church that sees itself as being the "perfect society." What we need is a healthy dose of humility, a willingness to explore new solutions, engage more readily in easy conversation with society and a return to a church with a more humble sense of itself, a "pilgrim church" on journey. '

I am reflecting on this and on what Gandhi once said:  "Be the change that you want to see happening in the world."  Replace the word "world" with "Church" and I am sure you will get the idea.

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/19 21:44:44 (permalink)
    when the going gets tough,  pretend that they love you!
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/19 21:50:57 (permalink)
    I can't seem to be quiet!

More ideas:

read some of the new books written by people who are devoted to recovering the nearly lost stories of faith....the many, many, many women heros in the old and new testaments.

Many if not all of the stories are about women who overcame monumental challenges.

Study about Mary.  She is for us the most excellent disciple and she was not the passive, quiet, woman we were once taught she was.

God chose a very brave girl for a very big task.  Read the Magnificat.  Read Tina Beattie's book about Mary.  Read Elizabeth Johnson's book about Mary.  Read what Pope Paul VI had to say about Mary.  
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/19 22:10:25 (permalink)
    Study the information.

There is a lot of good stuff on this site.

Learn what the current theological reasons are as to why women can't be priests.  Learn and understand how that has changed over the centuries.  Learn about other things in Church doctrine that have changed over time...eg slavery, women not being made in the image of God,

Learn what the reasons are that women should be able to be priests.
    Learn how to challenge teaching authority.
    Learn about other people, many of them now canonized as saints in the Church, who in past centuries devoted themselves to Church reform.  Learn about how people who considered themselves to be devoted Catholics branded them as heretics and trouble makers.  Learn how to get past that.

Support -- with volunteer effort, financially, and in prayer -- groups like Women Priests who devote themselves to the cause.

Pray, pray, pray.  Learn to be grounded and pray.  Don't let the turkeys get you down.
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 18:09:48 (permalink)
    Wow!

I am thriled with all of you lovely 'pro-women' suggestions!

I feel precisely the same as all of you, and all though I feel very close to the Catholic Church, I become so frustrated at the idea that such discrimination can be allowed in this old religion (in terms of Christianity)

Hopw to here more from you all!

S
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 18:33:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Guest

If you have any major suggestion on how to progress the situation and convince the Catholic church that allowing women priests is essential, please state your ideas.

Thanks

S

Maybe it is only a small thing but recently I was at my niece's baptism in our Ukrainian Catholic Church.

As I gazed up at the dome and reflected on the beautiful paintings and icons of old prophets and saints, I noticed two things:

- all of the 'portraits' were of men leaders from the past. One was Luke, one was John. I think that one was Moses another was Ezekial. None were of women.
    - there was still an awful lot of 'empty' space on the surface of the dome.

I am going to ask the Church to include some pictures of women leaders from our Church history: Deborah, Mary Magdalene, Phoebe, Junia....

There's lots of room for them and more!
    I think I will put my money where my mouth is and maybe even spearhead a committee to raise the money for the additions!

Won't hurt at all to quietly and gently make women more visible...May help some hearts to ponder in ways they never have before!

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 18:40:47 (permalink)
    Our church is called 'Our Ladys' so it is quite focussed around the idea of Mary - but that doesn't mean women can lead a service. I generally try to encourage people to look at thinks from different, more modern perspective.

The situation can be very difficult, as we are disagreeing with the Pope, so our work has to be done subtlely.

Sometimes I just feel like nailing petitions to my Parish's noticeboard though!

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 18:51:19 (permalink)

Our church is called 'Our Ladys' so it is quite focussed around the idea of Mary - but that doesn't mean women can lead a service. I generally try to encourage people to look at thinks from different, more modern perspective.

The situation can be very difficult, as we are disagreeing with the Pope, so our work has to be done subtlely.

Sometimes I just feel like nailing petitions to my Parish's noticeboard though!

S

I urge you to read Tina Beattie's book on Mary and Elizabeth Johnson about Mary. I know exactly what you are saying and I rested in that very position...at one time. Tina and Elizabeth are both very modern and very on board with the women as priests in the Church.

This site has a bit on Mary, too....the latent tradition of her own role as priest.

Looking forward to more discussion.
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 18:59:04 (permalink)

Our church is called 'Our Ladys' so it is quite focussed around the idea of Mary - but that doesn't mean women can lead a service. I generally try to encourage people to look at thinks from different, more modern perspective.

The situation can be very difficult, as we are disagreeing with the Pope, so our work has to be done subtlely.

Sometimes I just feel like nailing petitions to my Parish's noticeboard though!

S

ps

Your last comment made me laugh! I agree with you completely!

The other comment I would add is that I think some people get frightened by the possibility or mistaken idea that because we are trying to look at things in 'new' ways we want to completely throw out the old.

I try to look at things in terms of the communion of the saints which I understand (someone might disagree) to include all of the people who have come before us, we who are here now, and all of the people who are yet to come.

Each 'grouping' (ie, old, current, future) has a right to be included and if we are a healthy community, needs to be represented in some way. In some senses, it is Tradition from the past that keeps those who have been before us with us in ways that are tangible to us today. If we are only ruled by "Tradition" then really, it is the past that is still calling the shots. We all need to be included if our Church is to be vibrant and alive.

Maybe this just sounds like mumbo jumbo but I agree with you -- soft and gently ways sometimes help people to see the Truth more clearly -- which sometimes can be difficult if they are completely accustomed to the view they have had through their old set of glasses.

On the other hand, some jobs do call for a hammer and a nail!

Look forward to more sharing!
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 19:22:07 (permalink)
    I agree with everything that you have said - and I will read that book.

Some Catholics are too stuck in the ways that they have been brought up with, and can't see that sometimes change and modernisation can be a good thing.

Other churches have changed there ways - why can't we?

I wish that when the sex discrimination act of 1975 was brought in they had included priests!

Life is full of frustrations...

S
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 20:53:12 (permalink)

I agree with everything that you have said - and I will read that book.

Some Catholics are too stuck in the ways that they have been brought up with, and can't see that sometimes change and modernisation can be a good thing.

Other churches have changed there ways - why can't we?

I wish that when the sex discrimination act of 1975 was brought in they had included priests!

Life is full of frustrations...

S

Two things:

- we have never been taught completely about Mary. Through the centuries, we have heard about her 'passivity' and 'obedience.'
    But there is a whole lot, lot more to her. Tina Beattie's book is most delightful to read and really helped me to see how Mary played her part with God in challenging the 'status quo.'

- I agree: Life is full of frustrations. From my experience, it is all too easy to get bogged down and sad and despairing...maybe even overwhelmed at times.... It is important to pray, pray, pray and be grounded. It is important that we keep up our capacities to speak in ways that people are willing to listen since some of what we are talking about may frighten some people....it sounds all too strange to them. I like to think of Martin Luther King Jr. I am sure he was many, many times very frustrated with how things were (and sadly still are) for black African Americans. Yet he spoke positively....in one of his most famous speeches he started out by saying: "I Have a Dream!"...and not "I Have a Complaint."

In Christ's peace and friendship,
    Oremus pro invicem!"
    Let us pray for one another!
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 20:54:37 (permalink)
    In whatever we do, let us do it with Love!
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 21:22:21 (permalink)

In whatever we do, let us do it with Love!

...which sometimes can be quite difficult to do considering how some people respond towards women who speak up.

If I am certain that I have been friendly and honest and civil and loving, I look at rude responses in one of several ways:

- it could be that no matter how gentle I am in my approach, it could be that what I am saying is frightening the listener. This is some of what Jesus faced in His life. He made people afraid by some of what He was saying since He was asking for change. Despite the cruel treatment He received in return, it did not change the fact that what He was talking about was Truth. People who are fearful often respond with rudeness.

- if I think that someone is afraid, then I also try to think of compassion when I am speaking to them.

- I think about what Jesus said -- sometimes working for Love will cause people not to like you.

- funny thing, too....sometimes I actually am complimented....Depending on who it is that is being rude, sometimes a rude retort means that they are angry when they realise I am saying something that makes sense and that they may therefore have to make a shift in the the way they think about things.

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 21:47:57 (permalink)
    Reading about Catherine of Siena has been highly recommended to me.

She was a fierce advocate for Church reform. She challenged those who defended the heirarchy and the clerics.

She is today an officially canonized saint and has in fact been named one of the very few women Doctors of the Church.
    RE: Suggestions 2006/11/20 22:31:27 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, I must have stepped into an angry-lesbo-retard convention...I will back away slowly now...
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 15 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Quick Reply: (Open Full Version)
      Enter the random characters shown
    Submit Post
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 4.6

This website is maintained by the Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research.

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research

Visitors to www.womenpriests.org since 11 January 2014

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research