Women Can Be Priests
Reply to post

Suggestions

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 15 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
  • Total Posts : 14706
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/21 04:34:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Guest

I'm sorry, I must have stepped into an angry-lesbo-retard convention...I will back away slowly now...

Thank you for your fine display of arrogance and abusiveness in defense of the Catholic Church!
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/21 07:32:57 (permalink)

If you have any major suggestion on how to progress the situation and convince the Catholic church that allowing women priests is essential, please state your ideas.

Thanks

S

Another thing I think is that we must be prepared to be in it for the long haul.  I sometimes get discouraged when I think that it is possible I might not see the ordination of women within my time....but then I remember the need for humility and realise:

With faith in Jesus, I have a part to play.... and if not for my contribution 'now,' it might take just that much longer for things to unfold....as they should!

Have trust in God...do what we can as well as we can and God will take care of the rest.  Good always, always, always triumphs in the end. 
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/21 07:36:12 (permalink)
pray for those who do not understand
pray for those who oppress
ask God's blessings for them
ask that they be filled with an understanding of the Light that is within all of us
pray for strength and courage
pray for faith
pray for hope
pray for love
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/21 07:47:02 (permalink)
"In the beginning was the Word...."

Keep your eyes fixed on Christ and remember that He was around long, long, long before the Roman Catholic Church ever was......
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/21 07:56:31 (permalink)
pray.... that we may be lavished with generous hearts to do the work of building God's kingdom...
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/21 11:49:42 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I must have stepped into an angry-lesbo-retard convention...I will back away slowly now...

no, no....please, don't back away.  We like you....it's true.... We'd really like it if you stayed.  It is not a mistake that you are here.  Please, stay....really.....but we'd appreciate it if you could just be a little, little bit more quiet until you learn how to talk a with a wee bit more in the way of manners..... We want to keep you included!

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/22 18:25:37 (permalink)

If you have any major suggestion on how to progress the situation and convince the Catholic church that allowing women priests is essential, please state your ideas.

Thanks

S

I have a suggestion.

I think it is important to keep as actively involved in our faith and church communities as possible.

There have been many changes already happening. Unlike the old days, somen can now be:

- lectors
- altar servers
- ministers of communion
- part of choirs

To help the 'fossils' in our Church learn how to accept women's leadership, it is important that we be seen in leadership where we now can. Our loving presence helps others learn. Our active participation helps people adapt to the cultural change that IS happening.

Not only do we need to insist on the change happening, we need make sure people see that it is happening.

When we think that we don't have power, we are giving our power away. We do have power. We have the power to start "Being the change we want to see happening in the Church." (thanks Gandhi for letting me modify your wise words!) It may seem like 'small' power but it is people power. When we all start to make changes in our own little squares, the squares start to add up....and soon the BIG change we seek will be inevitable!

Occupying teaching positions -- catechism, rcia -- is very important.

New members joining our faith? Let's be part of helping them to move into the direction we want to go.

Children needing to be taught about our faith? Let's volunteer. What better way is there to shape the future but to plant seeds for growth now.

We need to learn to engage others in conversation. We don't necessarily need to demand that they think the way we want them to...but we can sure get them thinking, reflecting....and praying.

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/22 18:45:37 (permalink)
in other words, we need to as responsibly and gracefully as possible rise to the opportunities that are before us now
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/23 03:53:33 (permalink)
I am a woman deep into discernment to the ordained ministry of the priesthood in the Episcopal church.  Thank you for your gentle and strong, reasonable and spiritual, and above all loving thoughts about the direction of the Christian church.  Your encouragement is a Godsend.                                                                                                                                          
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/23 04:59:54 (permalink)
it is through providence that we share a journey...be assured of my prayers for you and the episcopal church!
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/23 05:41:22 (permalink)

Wow!

I am thriled with all of you lovely 'pro-women' suggestions!

I feel precisely the same as all of you, and all though I feel very close to the Catholic Church, I become so frustrated at the idea that such discrimination can be allowed in this old religion (in terms of Christianity)

Hopw to here more from you all!

S

Take it as gift that this is an opportunity to learn to rise above frustration.  We become stronger, better, more resilient, faitfhful disciples as we do this!
Keep our eyes fixed on Christ.
Live lives of faith.
Be detached from outcome....be humble in the simple commitment to doing our part.
We walk in the company of our Friend.
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/23 09:26:22 (permalink)
I have been pondering more about the possibility of 'gift' to be found in our current situation.

While it is true that many concerns of women are being addressed in countries/societies/communities occupied by women of wealth, the same cannot be said for women who are poor and/or vulnerable.

The fact that we, as Catholic women, continue to grapple with "women's issues" in our faith community means in some ways that we are also more attuned (or should be) to the struggles other women face.  In some way, our 'faith struggle' keeps the yet unresolved "women's socio-political" struggles in mind.  (Could it be true that they might otherwise be forgotten?)

In some ways, our position in the Church can help us to understand what it is to be vulnerable.
I think then that we are also being called to service....in the universal 'Church' community...ie the world that is right outside the doors of the "Church building."

Through meeting our obligation to help to tackle some of those 'outside issues,'  we help to keep the concerns of women on the political agenda....poverty, domestic violence, hardship, war, famine, AIDS.... to name a few.

So another suggestion:  take the time to learn about the challenges (not necessarily faith challenges) faced by other women.  Work for justice in this field.  Offer some time, treasure and talent in support of a social justice project.  Talk about the work we are doing there.  

The more that justice issues re women are resolved in the 'world community,' the more silly (wish I could think of a better word) starts to look the old boy's club in the Catholic Church.

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/23 09:30:24 (permalink)
Teach our sons and daughters about these matters.

Make it safe for our sons to express their emotions.  Support them and make it safer than it has been for them to access their 'feminine side.' 
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/23 09:33:12 (permalink)
Recognise and reflect on our own privilege.

Think:  while we point fingers up the ladder in the Church, who might be pointing fingers up at us?

Unresolved issues of poverty in the Third World brings women in the Third World to mind.

Unpack that privilege. 

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/23 09:35:31 (permalink)
the last couple of items will help keep us honest!
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/23 18:06:06 (permalink)
connect with women from other faiths in our communities:

- to build shared community of concern
- to provide mutual support
- to brainstorm ideas
- learn what approaches and techniques have worked elsewhere.

Provide prayer and financial support for women who do this.

for example, the following clip about Sr. Joan Chittister doing this on grand scale:

FROM BENETIVISION: Sister Joan was invited as a “special Interfaith guest” to a conference of 100 distinguished Muslim women leaders , Women’s Islamic Initiative in Spirituality and Equity (WISE), November 17-19, in New York City.

The purpose of the conference was “to network, strategize and share best practices around the joint mission of advancing the rights of Muslim women.
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/24 00:59:54 (permalink)
support cultural change:  don't be singularly goal oriented.  Result may
be pyrrhic victory.  look at black african americans
don't waste time on discouragement

Another suggestion:

Have faith in the Holy Spirit.

Have faith in the process.  Goals are being accomplished now as we move forward.

Be not discouraged by what seems to be either too slow of progress or too distant a goal.

Be more than singularly goal oriented. 

What am I thinking?  We are engaged in the noble cause of 'being agents of change.'  This change is not only 'theological' change but also cultural change.  Facing facts:  this sort of thing takes time.

When I look to the history and current circumstances of black African Americans, I see that despite 'legal achievments,' there is still a lot of river to cross before American society can say that race is not a pressing issue.  The legal victories weren't necessarily the final victories.  Get what I am saying? Without current and ongoing conversion, achieving the singular goal of women's ordination could turn out to be pyrrhic victory.  ie, mission considered accomplished = change makers scatter, the energy and momentum subside, women's dignity taken for granted

There is opportunity in the here and now!

I would be absolutely thrilled to see women immediately ordained as priests, I am also not absolutely dismayed with the opportunities being presented now for conversion. 

As we work towards this goal - being catalysts for change -- an energy is building.  People are drawn to question, challenge and understand.  Learning and conversion for all is  happening in this process.  Change IS happening NOW!

Because we care about our sisters who will one day be priests, part of our current effort must  be dedicated to the conversion of others.  Future women priests are going to face some tough roads in some places.  We must keep them in mind.  We must pray for them.  For their sake and the sake of the Church, we must be committed to working at this in ways that are encouraging and community building. We need to try to engage and be with people (despite the fact that they might disagree)  so as stay together on board  while helping them see things in more Light.  Together, together, we are pilgrims in faith. 

RE: Suggestions 2006/11/24 01:56:17 (permalink)

Unpack that privilege. 

unpack privilege....wherever  it is found
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/26 01:43:46 (permalink)
we need to learn to frame the arguments in different ways.

taking audience into account, some people need to hear things from an 'orthodox' perspective.

nothing wrong with this....orthodoxy has room for women priests.  the 'orthodox' just haven't seen it yet.

we need to help them.

compassion comes in to play.

keep our eyes fixed on Christ.
RE: Suggestions 2006/11/26 18:48:12 (permalink)
support dialogue.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 15 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Quick Reply: (Open Full Version)
  Enter the random characters shown
Submit Post
Jump to:
© 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 4.6

This website is maintained by the Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research.

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research

Visitors to www.womenpriests.org since 11 January 2014

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research