Women Can Be Priests
Reply to post

Sexism in the Church

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
  • Total Posts : 14706
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Sexism in the Church 2008/04/05 23:40:20 (permalink)
I once worked for a company that required diversity training for all employees. The class I attended had one particular exercise that has remained lodged in my memory ever since.

The exercise went as follows: categories of race, nationality, and gender were constructed on separate charts each with five blank columns. The categories were: men, women, Afro-American, Asian, Polish, Italian, Irish, and Hispanic.

Members of the class were then required to call out derogatory names for each category. Most averaged about a column and a half of derogatory names. As you might imagine men had the least number of entries averaging only about half a column.

However the most derogatory names called out were for the category of women. They filled not only all five columns but the margins as well. What was worse was that the men in the class seem to be enjoying it.

It was one of the most demoralizing exercises in which I ever had to participate, but it opened my eyes to the reality of how pervasive sexism is in our lives and its debilitating effects on the human spirit. We can pass laws to attempt to protect women and ensure their rights as equal citizens but there is an evil that still lurks within the heart that views women as necessary primarily for procreation and little else.

I recently read a story about a drifter who murdered a woman that was hiking with her dog. He bludgeoned her to death and then decapitated her. He said he did not have the heart to kill the dog. When the police asked him why he killed her his reply was “because she’s a woman.”

That response gave me a chill when I read it because it is exactly the reason for all the irrational discrimination against women, especially within our Church. In the eyes of such people, the dimensionality of women is diminished and they become the lowest form of humanity, made only for procreation and nurturing their young. They are not worthy of positions of leadership and authority, they are not worthy of representing Christ at the altar and perhaps as in the mind of a demented drifter, such thinking can be extrapolated to seeing women as nothing more than silly creatures who are weak in mind and spirit and are not worthy of life either.

How can our Church leaders even talk about dignity and respect for women and then tell them that their spirit is not a valid representation of God? How can they claim that God discriminates against women on earth and gives men spiritual authority over them? How could any man with a brain not realize how wrong this is?

I understand that our Church does not exist in a vacuum. Members of the Church are a product of this sexist sickness that permeates society. It is only because of the hard work of a few very vocal feminists who have raised the consciousness of nations that women enjoy some level of equality in the work force and financially. Yes, men do benefit from it but they still struggle to contain it, just as clergymen like Archbishop Burke struggle to shut women out.

I believe that women will one day be ordained priests in the Roman Catholic Church. I pray to God that I may live to see it happen. But it won’t happen if we accept the status quo and remain silent. We need to learn from the parable taught by Jesus of the woman and the corrupt judge and be persistent, never loose heart and maintain the perpetual challenge until justice is ours. The Church needs to set an example to the world not only in words but in actions that women are equal to men in body, mind, and spirit and it is incumbent upon everyone to conduct their lives in such a manner. We owe it to the future of womankind and the future of humanity to make this happen.
RE: Sexism in the Church 2008/04/06 07:56:44 (permalink)
However the most derogatory names called out were for the category of women

It is true.  There are some people who I know that when they are angry at someone will go on a run of derogatory rude words about the person.  When I think about it, the words used when there is deep, deep anger are often associated with negative features of women and children who've been raised by a single mother.

???

As I see it, there is a direct link between the ban against women's ordination and the continuing feminine face of poverty in the world. 
RE: Sexism in the Church 2008/04/06 11:16:35 (permalink)
The non ordination of women validates the disempowerment of women in every other institution in the Christian world.
RE: Sexism in the Church 2008/06/16 03:07:11 (permalink)
At Mass this morning in honor of Father’s day the priest mentioned at the end of Mass that the father is the head of the home and woman is the heart of the home. He then declared that men are the “spiritual heads” of the household.

When men declare that they are the spiritual leaders of their families, they show themselves to be neither spiritual nor leaders.
RE: Sexism in the Church 2008/06/16 03:30:06 (permalink)
How can spirit and heart be divided as though one person is responsible for this and another for that?

Certainly not in the Way of Christ. 
RE: Sexism in the Church 2008/06/16 03:44:27 (permalink)
I am curious? How old was the priest?  A  young conservative? or an old guard codger? or a 'modern' thinker?
RE: Sexism in the Church 2008/06/16 03:52:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Guest

I am curious? How old was the priest?  A  young conservative? or an old guard codger? or a 'modern' thinker?

I would guess he was in his late 30s or early 40s. He was not too old but then age is not necessarily a factor. Some of the most enlightened priests I have heard speak were over 65.
RE: Sexism in the Church 2009/02/16 01:50:46 (permalink)
Today at Mass the choir director, who also made the announcements, requested help with the Easter decorations. He asked for men only. He said this several times with the emphasis on the word “men.”  He also spoke of a Men’s choir that they were forming and again with the emphasis on the word “men.” It all sounded very strange.

My immediate feeling was that this is sexist. Then I thought, perhaps I am over reacting….but maybe not. What difference does it make who helps with the Easter decorations and why all this segregation of men and women? It started to feel more like a cult than a Church.
RE: Sexism in the Church 2009/02/16 14:33:12 (permalink)
If only men are wanted and welcomed in that church, all Catholic churches, and only men are invited to be in a choir or help with mass preparations etc.  then  women and girls should stay away from that church.

Women and girls are being treated as non-persons who are not welcomed and not invited to participate or be part of the community, only men count and are wanted by the choir leader and priest, as the leader does this with the priest's permission, no doubt.

Time for the women and girls to not attend as they are being shut out and ignored, unwanted.

It is an all male cult then for sure.
RE: Sexism in the Church 2009/02/16 14:36:56 (permalink)
This is very important: mothers, aunts, sisters, grandmothers, fathers,  neighbours: 

keep the boys and youths and children away from that all male cultic church. 

Victimization of the children and youths is a real and constant danger in this all male church cult.

RE: Sexism in the Church 2009/02/16 14:44:25 (permalink)
Jesus did not shut out women and girls or ignore them or send them away and only associate or commission men.

He had 7 women apostles and 12 men. Jesus made women full apostles and disciples and got women to announce he is the Messiah, announce his Resurrection, apostolize to Samaria, anoint his holy head at a meal, at communion table with Jesus while he was alive.

No restrictions or shunning of women or girls (Jarius's dauhgter is healed, not shunned) is ever done by Jesus.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Quick Reply: (Open Full Version)
  Enter the random characters shown
Submit Post
Jump to:
© 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 4.6

This website is maintained by the Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research.

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research

Visitors to www.womenpriests.org since 11 January 2014

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research