Women Can Be Priests
Reply to post

Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
  • Total Posts : 14706
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/23 23:58:08 (permalink)
St. Therese, the epitome of the young, stifled, dead woman who was much better off dead, and who looks back on them with pity, understanding, compassion, and silence.

That's quite a sad view.  I'll take inspiration from those who claim her as she claimed herself: warrior, priest, apostle, Doctor, martyr.  I wonder if when he named her a Doctor, beloved John Paul II realized what kind of can of worms he was openning up!  The Holy Spirit is amazing!   Viva Saint Therese! o woman who would not have her dreams shackled by the naysayers around her!

RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 12:40:46 (permalink)
        The Leadership of  Saint Therese of Lisieux , Doctor of the Church.

1.  Speak of your request and prayers directly.  Saint Therese though warned not to touch or talk to the pope during her audience with him, took his hand directly in her hand instead of just kissing the offered hand and directly requested of him, insisting he help her enter the Carmelite order, even though she was underage.
     As a female she did not accept the cultural  and church institutional limitations imposed by the hierarchy rules of the church on women and girls: the request females be silent and submissive.  She spoke out, she touched the pope in order to help him focus and pay her attention, this holding of hands as Jesus has said he longs to gather us under wings like a Mother Hen.  The Holy Spirit led her in love and devotion and vocation to communicate her requests clearly to the pope.  Like the SyriaPhoenician woman she made a direct and forceful request and argued her case.  Jesus compassionately answered her request and changed his policy, bound and loosed on earth and heaven, to minister and preach and be for the children of Gentiles of the world,  not just the children of Israel.  The pope and the hierarchy must truly listen to and honor the dignity and spiritual religious vocation and requests of women and girls and respect them and allow women ordination so women too can truly serve God, Jesus and Holy Spirit.

2.  Therese of Lisieux used the authority of the Gospels in her writings and refers to the Gospels over a 1000 times.  Women too can refer to the Gospels to prsent the case for ordination as the Gospels truly do present the reality that Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the Gospels and Paul show women are truly worthy and chosen to represent Christ and be fellow co-workers and ordained in the church, fellow Apostles with Apostolic Succession just like the men, present at all meals including the Last Supper and all echuarist and meal times, truly included in the church of Jesus, truly chosen and deemed worthy of dignity and vocation like the men are.

RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 13:01:27 (permalink)
  In her writings Saint Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church, wrote directly of her calling to be priest many times." I have the vocation of Apostle, Warrior, Priest, Martyr"

I notice in some church published pamphlets and books the passages of these requests to be a priest are censored, edited out and the calling to be "apostle, martyr, " is left in .  We must present the truth about her writings and  not let  church hierarchial censorship distort and diminish the teachings and insights of Saint Therese of Lisieux.

" I most of all, imitate the conduct of Magdalene: her astonishing or rather her loving audacity, which charms the heart of Jesus, also attracts my own. 

Was it not in prayer that St. Paul, St. John of the Cross, St. Francis and so many other famous Friends of God have drawn on this divine science which delights the greatest geniuses? A scholar has said "Give me a lever and a fulcrum and I will lift the world."  What Archimedes was not able to obtain, for his request was not directed to God and was made from a material viewpoint, the saints have obtained in all its fullness.  The Almighty has given them a fulcrum: God alone as lever : prayer which burns with the fire of love.  And it is in this way that they have lifted up the world; it is in this way that the saints still militant lift it, and that until the end of time the saints to come will lift it."

Manuscript C, 26.  "Prayer is a cry of gratitude and love in the midst of trial as well as joy.  Finally, it is something great and supernatural, which expands my soul and unites me to Jesus." 
                                        Yes , answer the prayer of Saint Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church, and ordain women too.
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 13:19:22 (permalink)
  1882 Therese of Lisieux's sister Pauline Martin enters the Carmelite convent.  By 20 February 1893 her sister Pauline is elected prioress of the Carmelites at Lisieux.  In 1886 her sister Marie Martin enters the convent.  1888 Therese Martin enters the Carmel convent.  In 1894 after her father Louis Martin dies 29 July 1894, in 14 September her sister Celine Martin enters the Carmel.  Her father Louis Martin had suffered illnesses , ran away from home in 1888 and was hospitalized in February 1889 , returned home in 1892, cared for by daughter Celine and after his death 1894 , Celine too entered the convent of the Lisieux Carmelites.  Poverty and suffering and illness and death of mother, father, siblings and nuns at the convent (influenza, pnuemonia, probably other tuberculosis cases too) were all part of Saint Therese of Lisieux's reality.  She suffered greatly by her illness of tuberculosis and her longing to be an ordained priest in her church.
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 14:22:19 (permalink)
Saint Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church, looks back with compassion but not with "silence."    Her writings and her actions speak for ordination of women.

Saint Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church,  writings firmly and loudly proclaim that women ought to be granted priesthood as a vocation too.  She repeatedly requests  to be a priest in the church and that she has a sincere calling to be ordained as a priest. 

She wanted to be Saint .  That happened,  She wanted to be a Doctor. That happened.  She is still a Warrior and a Martyr to her Calling for Priesthood. 

St. Therese of Lisieux  is an Apostle for Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit.  Her Beloved Mary Magdalene had the truth finally admitted by the Catholic church, that Mary Magdalene was an honorable woman, no proof of any wicked past or behavior:  many people were healed by Jesus and that did not indicate the people who had been ill were "prostitutes".  In 1969 the Catholic Church apologized for falsely tarnishing the reputation of Saint Mary of Magdala.  Now the Catholic Church needs to make women priests too and honor Saint Therese of Lisieux Doctor of the Church who advocated for the priesthood vocation for women.
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 14:28:44 (permalink)
I see what you mean when you type about her as "silent" because the Vatican wants her viewed that way, as "little" and "childlike" and "weak girl-woman" .  However this is not Saint Therese of Lisieux really and the church hierarchy is attempting to diminish her and relegate her to a submissive , meek way that in fact she was  not.  When one really reads her writings, uncensored and unexcised, it is clear that she is a powerful advocate for the dignity of women and the need to grant priesthood vocation to women too.
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 14:35:57 (permalink)
Therese of Lisieux wanted to find her place in the church and her place is Love, her vocation is Love and that Love is to serve Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit fully as true Apostle, Doctor, Warrior, Martyr and Priest of the church.  Jesus , God and the Holy Spirit give her the calling of the vocation of Priest.  To Love God and Jesus and the Holy Church by serving the Church as men do, as Humble Servant of God as Priest too.  Her place in the church, her vocation as Priest is truly the vocation of Love.  Now the Catholic church needs to obey the Holy Spirit, God and Jesus and ordain women too.  The place in the church for women is beside the men, as true co-workers and priests too in the church.
Therese
  • Total Posts : 1816
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 16:00:46 (permalink)
St. Therese, the epitome of the young, stifled, dead woman who was much better off dead, and who looks back on them with pity, understanding, compassion, and silence.

????  Saint Therese, Doctor of the Church, a canonized saint who knew the call of priesthood herself?  Who spoke about it, wrote about it, expressed her longings for it? who was turned down for religious life yet continued to press forward???

a stifled dead woman who was much better off dead???

Or is she an example of syro-phoenician woman speaking her 'yes but....'  Expressing her sense of self that goes wildly beyond what the hierarchy says she should be?  The Vatican has a problem on their hands in St. Therese of Lisieux. Instead of a stifled dead woman, she is a strong woman of grace, a warrior, an apostle, a woman whose spirit is merging and working right along with ours in the steady movement towards the day we see the Vatican doors open to women as priests, bishops and popes. 

Believe me.  She'll be there with us celebrating with us on that day!!!

with my eyes fixed on Christ,
Therese
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 16:32:43 (permalink)
The reality of Therese of Lisieux stands in stark contradiction to what the Vatican has tried to promote about her.
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 19:59:17 (permalink)
Saint Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church    Manuscript B, 3 vo      " Then in the excess of my delirious joy, I cried out: O Jesus my love.. my vocation, at last I have found it, my vocation is Love!.. Yes I have found my place in the church and it is You, O my God, who have given me this place.. In the heart of the Church, my Mother, I shall be Love, ..thus I SHALL BE EVERYTHING..and thus MY DREAM will be REALISED!!!   Manuscript B, 3 vo.  

"I am a child of the Church.  This child only knows how to do one thing now, to love you, O Jesus..She is banned from doing great works, from preaching the Gospel, from spilling her blood..But how shall she show her love since love is proven through charitable acts?  I have no other means of proving my love for You than that of strewing flowers, O Jesus of what use will my flowers be to You?  The Church in heaven, desirous of playing with her little child, will cast these flowers which have passed through your divine hands, which are now infinitely valuable because of Your divine touch, upon the Church Suffering in order to extinguish the flames and upon the Church Militant in order to gain the victory for it."  Manuscript B, 4 vo.     

Banned from her true vocation of priesthood, Therese of Lisieux will be Love, in order to then "Be Everything".  A wonderful analysis of the mighty spirit of Jesus and God.
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 20:34:50 (permalink)
  Saint Therese of Lisieux says in that way of Love she will then "be everything",  She will be a priest in the way she is the heart of the church, for then she will  as Love "be everything."  So Therese of Lisieux has found a way to still fufill her divine calling.  She says she is "banned" which means she does not approve of what the church is doing to her.  Her profound continuous struggle to deal with the institutional church's banning of women from ordination is a great problem for her.  Her vocation is to be priest to the many souls she would delight in serving as priest of the church.  It is shameful that more than 100 years after her death, the Catholic church still bans women from preaching the Gospel and being a priest, both divine callings and vocations of  Saint Therese of Lisieux.
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 21:02:45 (permalink)

I have known women, raised from birth looking on the wax effigy of St. Therese sealed in the glass coffin (like Snow White) perpetually on display in the church (for the last 100 years) every single Sunday of their childhood lives.  The wax effigy looks exactly like a freshly dead very petite young woman who looks more childlike than womanly, and who would breathe and open her eyes if she weren't dead.  As a child, I never believed that it wasn't a real dead body; it looked absolutely real.  Fortunately it was not my parish and I didn't have to stare at the thing every Sunday, but every other child there certainly did.  It was quite impressive to stare at that thing at eye level as a child.  She wasn't much bigger than a child, after all.

The images that were drilled by the church into these women from birth, I assure you, were definitely not images of women's ordination, but a reinforcement of the lesson that love of God and faithfulness to God require simple and absolute obedience.  Yes, when I was a child they did most certainly repeatedly tell me that they thought that St. Therese was clearly better off dead because her problems were over; that as a woman one's problems are much greater than a man's, and that it's only in death that one's problems as a woman are ever over.  They believed in not pulling any punches when talking to young girls because they believed that women had to be much tougher than men in order to survive and raise children, so it's better to explain to them the facts of women's life at a young age.  Yes, they also taught gracious and smiling tolerance of physical discomfort and pain as a primary lesson of childhood to be taught to young girls in order to teach them the maturity that childbirth and motherhood demand.  Yes, they explained in no uncertain terms that death is easy, that it's life that is hard, and that absolute obedience is easier when one is dead, so let's all stop and light a candle to St. Therese, the dead child of God, because she knows exactly what it's like and she understands. 
To this day these women believe in absolute obedience, and oppose the idea of women's ordination as being completely contrary to the role of women.  They also shake their heads and truly laugh at the argument in favor of women's ordination that says that not allowing women to be priests constitutes discrimination like slavery was discrimination.

The Vatican didn't recently declare St. Therese a doctor of the Church because it is promoting women's ordination.  St. Therese hasn't been the symbol of women's ordination for the last 100+ years, St. Therese has been the symbol of women's obedience for the last 100+ years.

woman who votes with feet
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 21:32:29 (permalink)
  Saint Therese of Lisieux Doctor of the Church  shows in her writings   she is for ordination of women.

The church has distorted and twisted the truth here, portraying her as a child-woman, which she really shows in her actions and writings is not accurate.

It is her great passion for priestly ordination that resounds so clearly in all her writings, all her manuscripts, her poems, her plays. 

The church by making her a Saint and a Doctor of the Church , has indeed opened up the great need to grant her request, to ordain women just as she as a woman longed to obey her calling from beloved Jesus, to be a priest for the church.
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 21:37:08 (permalink)
The wax effigy you talk about as petite--------Saint Therese  of Lisieux was actually Tall-------   the community called her the tall girl, so that is not accurate either if the statue or effigy of her in glass is supposed to be Saint Therese of Lisieux.   She was tall in real life, so they even got that part wrong about her!

Saint Therese of Lisieux, the truth is she was ardently interested in being a priest for the church.  That was her vocation and calling from Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit.
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/24 22:58:42 (permalink)
The Vatican didn't recently declare St. Therese a doctor of the Church because it is promoting women's ordination. 

That's the point.  They did declare her a Doctor of the Church not intending that she would serve as an advocate for women's ordination.  As much as the Vatican might have thought she was someone who would serve their agenda, she is not. 

Amazing work of the Holy Spirit and St. Therese for women's ordination.

Praise be!

RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/25 03:49:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Guest

St. Therese hasn't been the symbol of women's ordination for the last 100+ years, St. Therese has been the symbol of women's obedience for the last 100+ years.

woman who votes with feet

You are right. She didn’t walk away. She didn’t picket the Vatican and demand to be a priest. She joined a convent and was obedient to the laws set by the Church. She was a paragon of obedience to the Church, or was she?

Consider that this paragon of obedience wrote about her aspirations to be a priest. This paragon of obedience had desires that were contrary to the teachings of the Church. This paragon of obedience expressed desires that have been called heretical.

Remember the opponents of women’s ordination claim that women don’t get called by the Holy Spirit to be priests. So were her desires false? Was she delusional? Did the Church unwittingly canonize a heretic and then make her a doctor of the Church?

Perhaps it is God’s intention to use people like St Therese to infiltrate the ranks of the religious and plant the seeds of discontent with the discriminatory policies within the Church. Perhaps it has taken 100 years for women to open their eyes and see that wanting to be a priest puts you in the company of saints. Perhaps it has taken over 2000 years for women to see what has been in front of them all along. All the women who have gone before us, all the honored female saints are testimony that God does not discriminate. The discrimination in Church ordination policy is the work of men. But even men cannot stop God from honoring women as saints. And when women wake up to the fact that God does not discriminate, they will be honored as priests as well.

RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/25 04:13:29 (permalink)
well said.
Sophie
  • Total Posts : 14275
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/25 04:36:26 (permalink)
Dear friends,

In his article, St. Thérèse and the Question of Ordination of Women, our site founder, Dr. Wijngaards shares some of his perspectives about this mighty saint. On October 19, 1997, Thérèse of Lisieux was officially declared a Doctor of the Church. Although Vatican authorities may not have realised this, their recognition of her orthodox faith and soundness of teaching has consequences for the ordination of women. St. Thérèse  professed a profound and deep longing to be a priest.  Through her writings, she gives testimony to her deep ‘Catholic sense’ that women can and should be priests.

Dr. Wijngaards examines:
  • Thérèse's longing for the priesthood
  • the reasons of the heart
  • Therese's enduring testimony

A link to the article is here: http://www.womenpriests.org/teaching/therese.asp. Please enjoy!

With love and blessings,

~Sophie~
Sophie
  • Total Posts : 14275
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/25 04:41:56 (permalink)

Saint Therese of Lisieux dressed as Joan of Arc

Thérèse's admiration of Joan becomes apparent when one considers the fact that Joan is the title character in two small dramas that Thérèse staged in her religious community during the last four years of her life. The additional fact that Thérèse chose to appear in the title role makes evident that Joan was a long-standing role model for this future Doctor of the Church.
RE: Saint Therese of Lisieux: Called to Priesthood 2008/02/25 12:58:57 (permalink)
Hi Sophie Can you please put Dr. John Wijngaard's article about Saint Therese of Lisieux in its entirety here in this forum.  It is excellent and also directly quotes her writings which do prove she is advocating ordination of women and that Jesus and God and Holy Spirit do  authentically call women to the priesthood, no discrimination comes from Jesus or God or the Holy Spirit.  By making her a Saint and an authoritative Doctor of the Church, the Roman Catholic Church is getting closer to becoming more obedient to the Gospel:  that women too have Apostolic Succession and do fully image Jesus:  God is Spirit (John 4)  and Ineffable, Masculine and Feminine ---  Jesus calls himself BakerWoman making the bread of life, which needs the leaven of both women and men to carry out the Gospel and be priests of the church of Jesus, Jesus calls himself Mother Hen  and calls himself Widow Searching For the Lost Coin---feminine is worthy and represents himself too .
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Quick Reply: (Open Full Version)
  Enter the random characters shown
Submit Post
Jump to:
© 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 4.6

This website is maintained by the Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research.

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research

Visitors to www.womenpriests.org since 11 January 2014

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research