Women Can Be Priests
Reply to post

The Church as Bride

Author
  • Total Posts : 14706
  • Reward points : 0
2014/02/26 09:37:22 (permalink)

The Church as Bride

This is one of the common arguments that is put forward to say that Jesus can only be represented by a man because only a man can be a bridegroom. I find this a funny argument because almost half of the church are men and it would be the equivalent of a gay relationship that the priest would have with his masculine bridegroom. This just shows how much of a nonsense this argument is. Of course there are deeper theological reasons why this does not hold true.

2 Replies Related Threads

Re: The Church as Bride 2014/11/12 15:06:31 (permalink)
    I so agree with what has been said above. The image of the bride and groom is meant to show the love and care that is there in the relationship and has nothing to do with being male or female. A woman priest can reflect the love of God to both men and women.
    Re: The Church as Bride 2014/11/12 17:50:44 (permalink)
    The phrase "Bride and Bridegroom" are meant to signify the intimacy, the "oneness", that Christ has with His Church. It's not meant to be taken literally, and definitely not in the manner in which today's society sees that phrase.  Also, most foreign language texts are quite inaccurate when translated into English.  I think that it has to do with the limitations of our language.  Most languages have numerous words that describe the various shades of "love", while English primarily has only the one word, "love".  It's hard to be accurate when there is only one choice for translation. 
    And despite what the homepage says, Christ did not say "Do this in memory of me" to women also.  In the upper room was Jesus and His 12 apostles.  Period.  I find it very exasperating that when people disagree with the Church on several key issues that they don't just leave the Catholic Church and find one that is more in line with their beliefs.  But no; they want the Church to bend to their will.  Only Jesus has the right to impose His Will on the Church.  And this is guaranteed when He said that He would be with His Church until the end of time, and that the gates of hell would not prevail against it.  What are the gates of hell?  Well, what is Satan?  Jesus said that he is a liar and the father of lies.  Jesus promised to protect His Church from falsehoods, which He has done for 2000 years.  The Holy Spirit is guiding the Church, and in 2000 years Its teachings have remained unchanged, just defined, declared and confirmed through the councils throughout the millennia. 
    When you believe that anything that is the domain of God should change according your will then you proclaim yourself God.  If you don't like the Church's teachings then leave Her, and leave us who love Her as the Holy Spirit has proclaimed Her to be, alone. The Magisterium, Tradition and Scripture have served us well until now and will continue to do so.  "Change" is not possible with "The Truth".
    Quick Reply: (Open Full Version)
      Enter the random characters shown
    Submit Post
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 4.6

This website is maintained by the Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research.

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research

Visitors to www.womenpriests.org since 11 January 2014

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research