Women Can Be Priests
Reply to post

The Women Apostles, The Women Disciples

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 14 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
  • Total Posts : 14706
  • Reward points : 0
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/07/27 22:19:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Guest

Lest the female apostles doubt the angels, Christ himself came to them so that the women would be apostles of Christ and by their obedience rectify the sin of ancient Eve...Christ showed himself to the [male] apostles and said to them...,"It is I who appear to these women and I who wanted to send them to you as Apostles."
  • Hippolytus, Early Christian Bishop and Martyr of Rome (c. 170-236)

Hippolytus is not an intelligent source of information to draw from Because Hippolytus wrote in Greek, the bulk of his works was lost and his history became confused in the Latin West. Saint Damasus I, for example, believed that Hippolytus was a follower of Novatian, and in later writings Hippolytus is represented as a soldier converted by Saint Lawrence. Both Eusebius of Caesarea and Saint Jerome made reference to him as a prolific author and a bishop, but they were unable to identify his episcopal see. The most famous of the works attributed to Hippolytus is the Refutation of All Heresies, although many scholars now doubt that this and other writings traditionally associated with the name of Hippolytus can be considered the work of the Roman priest and antipope

That's funny. The Catholic Encyclopaedia says something different.

"Hippolytus was the most important theologian and the most prolific religious writer of the Roman Church in the pre-Constantinian era. Nevertheless the fate of his copious literary remains has been unfortunate. Most of his works have been lost or are known only through scattered fragments, while much has survived only in old translations into Oriental and Slavic languages; other writings are freely interpolated. The fact that the author wrote in Greek made it inevitable that later, when that language was no longer understood in Rome, the Romans lost interest in his writings, while in the East they were read long after and made the author famous."

So are you saying that just because the Romans lost interest, Hippolytus should be scrapped? If that's not ethno-centric, I don't know what is.
Sophie
  • Total Posts : 14275
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/07/28 05:17:10 (permalink)

Other Apostles:  In the Eastern Church, today July 28 is the feast day of
Prochoros, Nicanor, Timon, & Parmenas, Apostles of the 70

These Apostles of the Seventy are mentioned in Acts 6:5. Saint Prochorus became Bishop of Nicomedia and reposed in peace. Saint Nicanor was stoned to death in Jerusalem. Saint Timon became Bishop of Bostra in Arabia and ended his life in martyrdom by fire at the hands of the pagans. Saint Parmenas died in peace in Jerusalem.

St. Prochoros, the Apostle

Saint Nicanor, Apostle (died when St.Stephen was martyred)
Sophie
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/07/29 02:54:12 (permalink)
Today July 29 is the feast day of St. Martha,
friend of Jesus, sister of Mary and Lazarus

"Yes Lord, I believe."

Martha is a disciple of the Lord for she proclaimed the primacy of faith since her confession of faith, ‘Yes Lord! I believe that you are the Christ the son of God.’ Jn 11:20-27 is a response to the word of Jesus revealing himself as the resurrection and thc life, a role analogous to Peter as representative of apostolic faith. She also shared with Jesus his precious dialogue on the resurrection of the dead. Jesus challenges her with the word which must finally be accepted by anyone who wishes to belong to Jesus (11:25-26) that he is the resurrection and life.

We see and hear Martha at the tomb of her brother Lazarus, she pronounces those profound words of faith:'I know He will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.'

Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life: whoever believes in me, though he should die, will come to life;...Do you believe this?"

"Yes Lord", she replied, "I have come to believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God; he who is to come into the world."
Sophie
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/07/29 03:02:00 (permalink)

Saint Martha
Died c. 80

From BBC Radio, an interview with Lavinia Byrne
and Tina Beattie.

Women in the Bible: Martha
Tuesday 25 March 2003

Listen to this item

In the last of our series on the hidden women of the Bible, we look at a figure from the New Testament - Martha.

She and her sister Mary are shadowy figures who are often on the periphery of the action - witnesses for example to the raising of their brother Lazarus. Martha has often been portrayed as the woman of action in opposition to her sister Mary the contemplative.

Kathleen Griffin spoke to Tina Beattie, and began by asking Dr Lavinia Byrne of the Cambridge theological foundation how different she was from the women of the Old Testament.

Disclaimer
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external websites.
Sophie
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/07/29 03:51:44 (permalink)
Saint Martha

St. Martha
Icon writter Tatiana Vartinova

The gospel accounts of Luke and John present a woman named Martha, who together with her sister and brother, are friends of Jesus. In the home of Martha, Jesus and his disciples were welcomed with gracious hospitality.

Of the two gospel narratives featuring Martha, the one most often remembered is that of Luke, where Martha and Jesus 'have words':

…Jesus, tell my sister sitting at your feet to help me prepare this meal;… Martha, worry and distraction are stressing you; come here and sit awhile… .

We also meet Martha in the gospel of John, where Jesus' relationship with this family is touchingly revealed:

…If you had been here my brother would not have died; …show me where you have laid him; …and Jesus wept… .

At the graveside of her brother, a profound conversation between Jesus and Martha leads to a proclamation of faith like unto Peter's:

'I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one coming into the world". Jesus responds to this act of faith by Martha with the words, "I am the resurrection and the life".

Through time, as the cult of Martha developed, images of her maturity, strength, common sense, and concern for others have predominated. As folklore and art capture in legendary form the life of Martha, two stories of some significance are noteworthy.

In the first, Martha was among a small group of Christians expelled from Palestine after the death of Jesus. Sent off in a boat without a rudder or sail so that they might perish, providence intervened and the small group of Christians landed in Marseilles, France. Here Martha set about to share the Good News with the people of her new home.

The second story relates that in the region of Aix, France a fierce dragon roamed the village terrifying the entire community. Holding a cross in her hand, Martha sprinkled the beast with holy water. Placing her sash around its neck, she led the tamed dragon through the village. 

Martha is also depicted standing and holding a jar of oil -- symbolic of the service of healing, of hospitality, and of blessing. 
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/07/29 17:45:13 (permalink)
Sophie,

I notice you post all thorugh the night when do you sleep?
Sophie
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/07/29 21:53:34 (permalink)

Sophie,

I notice you post all thorugh the night when do you sleep?

Dear friend,

You are observant!

My work as Moderator  is not my paying job.  I work the volunteer time for the site in when I can...which sometimes includes the odd sleepless hour!

I appreciate hearing from you!  May Christ's peace be with you~

with love and blessings,
~Sophie~
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/08/02 19:52:30 (permalink)
                                           The Meaning Of the word "Magdala" 
    "Finally, let me suggest that the word "Magdalene" has no reference whatsoever to a village of Magdala, as many have suggested with the translation "Mary of Magdala". No one has ever been able to locate an ancient village of Magdala or any Jewish or Roman record that mentions such a village. A new Magdala has been built to attract modern tourist dollars, but it is not authentic.
    Once we dismiss the possibility that Magdalene referred to a place, then other possibilities are allowed to surface. There is a Hebrew word, migdal, which has the same consonants and is very similar to Magdala.  Could Magdalene be a play on that word? Migdal  originally referred to a tower (a migdal edor) from which shepherds could view the fields in which flocks grazed. Such a tower--tall, large and of great signiicance -- is mentioned twice in the Hebrew scriptures (Gen 35:21, Mic 4:8)  The early church by calling Mary "Magdalene" was asserting that she was a great or significant figure--that she was "Mary the great" or the "great Mary". If Jesus's mother was another Mary, not the "great Mary", could the great Mary have been anyone except his wife { and Apostle, his fellow worker as life partner as Paul later calls Apostles "fellow workers in Christ"}
   Jesus, I believe, had a female partner, a wife, to whom he gave a dignity and an honor that broke the barriers of the sexist definitions of the past.  She was Mary--the Magdalene.
    If this reconstruction could be sustained, would we not then have an ancient nonsexist tradition to reclaim, one on which we could rebuild our sexual value system? The new values in that system , values of radical equality, would become the mark of the church of the future.  In that church, there would be no barrier against women, no attempt to define their worth as second-class citizens. That new church would adhere to the belief that in Christ "there is neither male of female."
   Jesus destroyed power boundaries and power definitions.  This Jesus, who related to the primary women, {as well as other women}, in his life with the power of equal dignity, appears to have called women into a new being, to have enabled them to experience a new humanity of equality.
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/08/02 19:54:27 (permalink)
   The above quote comes from John Shelby Spong.
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/08/02 20:24:05 (permalink)
      Mary Magdalene is Jesus's Wife

Also from  author and Bishop John Shelby Spong :  In the story of Martha and Mary , Spong writes:

"I see one other repressed truth in this story that once again causes me to suggest that Mary was Jesus's wife. Martha, asks Jesus to order her sister, Mary, to help in the kitchen. Why did Martha not directly speak to her sister? Would that be the norm in most homes? But suppose the sister was a married woman. Could it be that Martha understood that in Jewish society a woman's husband could command the wife and the wife had the duty to obey? Is that why Martha appealed to the one who was her guest to give a directive to her sister? This suggests Jesus had a wife, a fact that apparently was once acknowledged! This is a hint that did not get repressed by the biblical redactors.
    Mary, the sister of Martha, was the same Mary who later came to be called Magdalene - the great.  Magdalene is portrayed in the gospels {all four synoptic gospels} as the leader of the female disciples who followed Jesus all the way from Galilee.  This was the same woman who was the flesh and blood woman at his side during his life and the chief mourner at the tomb in his death. {Who but a wife would be granted permission to prepare a man for his burial if his mother still lived?}.  That would make Mary Magdalene the same Mary who is portrayed in the tomb scene of the Fourth Gospel as calling him "my lord" and "rabboni", titles appropriate in Jewish society only for a wife to use in addressing her rabbi husband. She was the same Mary who demanded access to his deceased body from the one she thought at first was the gardener, an act appropriate for the deceased's nearest of kin."

RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/08/02 21:04:55 (permalink)
       How The Church Distorted the Women of the Bible  

"It is a shame that by denigrating the woman called Magdalene during Christian history, the church destroyed the healthiest female symbol in ancient Christianity.  There is no evidence in the bible to support the claim that Magdalene was a prostitute. That charge was fabricated befinning in the second century of the Common Era , when Greek dualism portrayed flesh as evil.  This flesh and blood woman at Jesus's side was perceived by the dualists as a threat to his holiness.  So the church set about trashing her reputation.  Church leaders began to identify her with the woman taken in adultery in John's gospel (John 8:1-11) though there is not a shred of evidence to support this identification.

Just to be safe, they also, again without a shred of evidence, identified her with the unnamed woman of the city in Luke's gospel (Luke 7:36-50).  With her character in tatters, Mary Magdalene was left to play the the role of the harlot in Christian history. In her place at Jesus's side, the church installed the sexless, and therefore unthreatening  , virgin mother {also biblically inaccurate as she had other children  as well as Jesus}  who they portrayed as docile, dependent and passive {unlike what the bible actually shows us about Mary,Mother of Jesus, } .

With the two major female figures in the Christ story relegated to the classical roles in male fantasy of virgin and whore, there was no viable role model left in the Christian story    { according to the story that the church concocted}.

{The church was also trying to establish male only celibate priests so claiming Jesus was unmarried was to support this idea.} 

I prefer to grasp the new day and expose the "sins of scripture"  that Jesus is the ally of the oppressed and ally of a new humanity in every form.  To follow Jesus is to know that in Christ, humanity in all its fullness is what counts.  Whether that humanity is male or female might determine biological functions, but it must never determine human worth or divine value."  Source: John Shelby Spong : Sins of Scripture, Exposing the Bible's Texts of Hate to Reveal the God of Love ,2005. 
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/08/03 19:10:16 (permalink)
"Men Only" Religion Did not Work 2,200 Years Ago and Won't Work Now For Us

News Item:  Greece
                  Archeologists Discover Ancient Statue of Goddess

" A 2,200 year old statue of the goddess Hera (Romans renamed her Vesta, and she is goddess of home and hearth, women worried about death during childbirth, high infant mortality,  health and safety of family) 
has been found in a wall of a city under Mount Olympus, mythical home of Greece's ancient gods, goddesses, archeologists announced yesterday.
     The headless marble statue was discovered in the ruins of ancient Dion, southwest of Thessaloniki.  It had been used by early Christian inhabitants of Dion as filling for a defensive wall."

The statue was used to prop up a wall  " daughters of Jerusalem are pillars of our faith" says  the bible.

Hidden yet still there, the strong female essence.  Dessicated by chopping off her head to try to remove her ancient spiritual power, the women of ancient Greece prayed to a female aspect of God for help in life, and Greek women knew that femaleness is also holy.
     The Early Church recognized as did Jesus and Paul, the holiness of women and the female aspects of God.
The new Greek, Jewish and Samaritan  women converts to the Early Church when Jesus and Paul would not forget the female when they prayed and worshipped just as we 2,200 years later must also not forget the female aspects of God or the Women Apostles, Women Preachers, Women Missionaries, Women Prophets, Women Deacons, Women Church Leaders, Women Disciples of our church chosen and appreciated and praised and loved by Jesus.
      We can no longer let our church hide the "pillars of faith," our women, or  dessicrate, demean women ---'chop off the head"--stop denying women's talents and spiritual value . Jesus enobled women and so should our church. Ordain women to deacon and priest roles just as men can do.

RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/08/03 19:57:29 (permalink)
                                           Woman Apostle Joanna/Junia
  Greek Trinity of Gods,   Minerva, Juno, Jupiter   and      Goddess Who Brings to Light  : Juno

Hera, wife of Zeus, queen of god Zeus.  Greek ,  is similar to Roman goddess Juno, wife of Jupiter, king of Roman gods.  Juno, like Hera, is goddess of marriage.  Joanna/Junia as Woman Apostle of Jesus reflects the importance of this female name.

Latin name Juno Lucina means Juno Who Brings to Light, is goddess of childbirth.

Three dieties, trinity of gods : Juno, Jupiter, Minerva were the three deities enshrined in temples on the Capitoline Hill of Rome . The hill was the religious centre of ancient Rome. These three gods  together were known as the Capitoline Triad.

Originally the Trinity Had Female Gods ,  and recognized the value and worth of Women.

Many  Old and New Testament biblical scholars claim the trinity is actually Mother, Father, Child--recognizing again the female aspect of God.

Woman Apostle   Joanna / Junia was as Paul says in NT  "Foremost Among the Apostles"  a true "Fellow Worker in Christ."  
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/08/26 22:20:36 (permalink)
  Paul says that the Women Apostles are fellow workers in Christ and are forever written in the Book of Life.
Women are given equality to men and are not told to be silent or submissive by Jesus.  The opposite is what Jesus does.  Jesus encourages women to be preachers and leaders and missionaries and resurrection witnesses.  Ordination of women is the will of God and Jesus.  Help our church to ordain women too.
Sophie
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/08/29 02:17:44 (permalink)

FRESCO FROM THE CATACOMB OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT MARCELLINUS, in Rome; dating from the end of the 3rd century according to Father du Bourguet (op. cit., p. 40).

The scene represents the cure of
the woman with the haemorrhage through touching the hem of Jesus’ tunic (Lk 8.43-48). Admire the purity of the line which descends from Jesus to the kneeling woman, as well as the gentle curve described by Jesus’ Body, expressive of the miraculous grace flowing from Him: «All at once, Jesus perceived that power had gone out from him.» (Mk 5.30) The Acts of Pilate, or the Gospel of Nicodemus (5th century), give this woman the name of Berenice or Veronica.

http://www.crc-internet.org/may00a.htm
Sophie
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/09/01 03:41:36 (permalink)
'Anna the Prophetess'
feast day September 1

'Anna the Prophetess'
Louis Glanzman
http://www.louisglanzman.com/annatheprophetess.html
21 3/4"H x 16 3/4"W
Mixed Medium

Women of the New Testament 

Anna
Prophetess (first century)

"And there was a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Panuel of the tribe of Asher; she was of a great age, having lived with her husband seven years from her virginity, and as a widow till she was eighty-four. She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day. And coming up at that very hour she gave thanks to God, and spoke of him to all who were looking for the redemption of Israel. "
- Luke 2:36-38

This short text is all that is recorded of the prophetess Anna, an old Woman who haunted the temple of Jerusalem awaiting some sign of Israel's Redeemer. Her long years of patient vigil were rewarded one day when Mary and Joseph brought their infant son to the temple for his ritual presentation to the Lord. Anna's story follows the longer account of Simeon, an old man who had been assured by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Messiah. When he saw the child Jesus accompanied by his parents, he blessed God and said, "Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word; for mine eyes have seen thy salvation, which thou hast prepared in the presence of all peoples."

Although no words are attributed to Anna, there is a similar sense of fulfillment in her story. Beyond Jesus' immediate family, she is the first woman to be granted such insight into' the divine mystery concealed in these humble beginnings. And she is the first to proclaim this good news to those like herself - poor and of no account - who lived by faith and waited in hope.

Text from Blessed Among All Women: Women Saints, Prophets, And Witnesses For Our Time by Robert Ellsberg (Paperback - April 25, 2007)

For more about Anna and other holy women, see: Holy Women Through the Ages
Sophie
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/09/01 03:45:53 (permalink)

Coptic Icon

Simeon, Mary, Joseph, Jesus and Anna

http://www.coptic.net/pictures/Icon.EntryToTemple.jpg
Sophie
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/09/01 04:26:22 (permalink)
FEBRUARY 2: THE PRESENTATION
OF CHRIST IN THE TEMPLE

Icon of The Presentation of Christ
written by the hand of Athanasios Clark and used with permission.
© Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Introduction

This feast, celebrated on February 2, is known in the Orthodox Church as The Presentation of Christ in the Temple. Another name for the feast is The Meeting of our Lord. Roman Catholic and Protestant Christians call the feast, The Purification of the Holy Virgin. About 450 AD in Jerusalem, people began the custom of holding lighted candles during the Divine Liturgy of this feast day. Therefore, some churches in the West refer to this holy day as Candlemas. The Feast of the Presentation concludes the observances related to the Nativity of Christ, a period that opened on November 15 with the beginning of the Nativity fast.

Jospeh and Mary were not wealthy, so they took two turtle doves with them to offer as a sacrifice at the Temple.

Biblical Story

The story of the Presentation is told in Luke 2:22-29. Mary and Joseph were faithful Jews and observed their religious customs. An important custom was for the couple to take their first-born son to the Temple. The baby was taken to the Temple forty days after his birth and was dedicated to God. In addition, if the parents were wealthy, they were to bring a lamb and a young pigeon or a turtle dove to be offered as a sacrifice at the Temple. The custom provided that if the parents were poor, they were to offer two pigeons or two turtle doves for the sacrifice.

When Jesus was forty days old, Mary and Joseph took Him to the Temple in Jerusalem. They were not wealthy, so they took two turtle doves with them to offer as a sacrifice at the Temple. As they arrived at the Temple, Mary and Joseph were met by a very old man named Simeon. He was a holy man and was noted as a very intelligent scholar. Simeon spent much time studying about the prophets of Israel. It was during his studies that he learned of the coming of the Messiah. The Jewish people were waiting for the Messiah to come and deliver Israel from their conquerors. From that time on, Simeon spent his time praying for the Messiah to come. He spent many years in prayer. Finally, while Simeon was praying he heard the voice of God. God promised Simeon that he would not die until he had seen the Messiah.

Simeon took Jesus in his arms and praised God.When Simeon saw Jesus, he took the baby in his arms and blessed the Lord and said:

"Lord, now let Your servant go in peace according to Your promise, because my eyes have seen Your salvation which you have prepared before the face of all peoples, a light to bring revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory to your people Israel."

Also, in the Temple was Anna the Prophetess. She had been a widow for many years. Anna was about eighty-four years old and spent her time in the Temple worshiping, fasting, and praying. When she saw the Christ Child she praised God and spoke of him to all who were awaiting the Messiah.

After Jesus was presented in the Temple, the family returned to Galilee to the town of Nazareth. The Bible tells us that Jesus grew and became strong, and was filled with wisdom.

The Theotokos is holding
out her hands in a gesture
of offering and humility.

Icon of the Feast

The Holy Icon shows that the meeting takes place inside the Temple and in front of the altar. The altar has a book or a scroll on it and is covered by a canopy. The Theotokos stands to the left and is holding out her hands in a gesture of offering. The one hand of the Theotokos is covered by her cloak or as it is known, the maphorion. She has just handed her Son to Simeon.

Christ is shown as a child, but He is not in swaddling clothes. He is clothed in a small dress and his legs are bare. Jesus appears to be giving a blessing. Simeon holds Jesus with both hands which are covered. This shows the reverence Simeon had for the Messiah. Simeon is bare headed and there is nothing to show that he is a priest. Some biblical scholars say that Simeon was probably a priest of the Temple or a Doctor of the Law.

Joseph offers the sacrifice of a poor
family while Anna the Prophetess
praises God and "speaks about the
child to all who were looking for the
redemption of Jerusalem." Luke 2: 38

Joseph is behind the Theotokos. He is carrying the two turtle doves for the sacrifice. Anna the Prophetess is also standing behind the Theotokos and is pointing to the Christ child.

The words Simeon spoke when he saw the Christ Child are known as "St. Simeon's Prayer." This prayer is sung daily at the evening Vespers services of the Orthodox Church.

In the Orthodox Church, both baby boys and baby girls are taken to the Church on the fortieth day after their birth. This is done in remembrance of the Theotokos and Joseph taking the infant Jesus to the Temple.

Orthodox Celebration of the Feast of the Presentation

This Feast of our Lord is celebrated with the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom, which is conducted on the day of the Feast and preceded by the Matins service. A Great Vespers is conducted on the evening before the day of the Feast. Scripture readings for the Feast are the following: at Great Vespers – extracts from Exodus 12:15-13:16; Leviticus 12 and Numbers 8; Isaiah 6:1-12, and 19:1,3-5,12,16,19-21; at Matins – Luke 2:25-32; at the Divine Liturgy – Hebrews 7:7-17 and Luke 2:22-40.

Hymns of the Feast

Apolytikion (First Tone)

Hail Virgin Theotokos full of Grace, for Christ our God, the Sun of Righteousness, has dawned from you, granting light to those in darkness. And you, O Righteous Elder, rejoice, taking in Your arms, the Deliverance of our souls, who grants us Resurrection.

Kontakion (First Tone)

Your birth sanctified a Virgin's womb and properly blessed the hands of Symeon. Having now come and saved us O Christ our God, give peace to your commonwealth in troubled times and strengthen those in authority, whom you love, as only the loving one.

Resources

The Story of the Icons by Dr. Mary Paloumpis Hallick.

The Festal Menaion translated by Mother Mary (South Canaan, PA: St. Tikhon’s Seminary Press, 1969) p. 60.

The Incarnate God: The Feasts of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, Cathering Aslanoff, editor and Paul Meyendorff, translator (Crestwood, NY: St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, 1995).

Festival Icons for the Christian Year by John Baggley (Crestwood, NY: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2000), pp. 40-47.

http://www.goarch.org/en/special/listen_learn_share/presentation/learn/
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/09/01 04:37:49 (permalink)
From the beginning of Jesus's life, men and women are there with him...not just men.

When I read about the Presentation in the Temple, it crosses my mind:  it was not just 'men' in the Temple with Jesus -- it is men and women. 

Somehow, Rome has lost its way on this.  Anna the Prophetess, speaking out to the people, was also present in the Temple with Jesus.  Not excluded.
RE: The Women Apostles, the Women Disciples 2007/09/01 05:17:35 (permalink)
the first person to know Jesus was coming into the world = a woman -- Mary

the first person to recognise Jesus was coming into the world = a woman -- Elizabeth

the first person to prophesy that Jesus was the Messiah = a woman -- Anna

the first person to be commissioned by Jesus to go out and preach the Gospel = a woman -- the Samaritan woman at the well

the first person to annoint Jesus = a woman

the first person to announce the Good News of the Resurrection = a woman -- Mary Magdalene

Rome's official view of women = exclusion.

Rome's official view of women = not in accordance with Christ.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 14 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Quick Reply: (Open Full Version)
  Enter the random characters shown
Submit Post
Jump to:
© 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 4.6

This website is maintained by the Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research.

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research

Visitors to www.womenpriests.org since 11 January 2014

Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research